Ashburn, VA asked in Child Custody and Child Support for Virginia

Q: Can the custodial parent demand that I pay half of all kids medical bills if it’s not in the child support order?

Also if I have moved from Stafford to Loudoun County can I petition the court for custodial parent to meet half way on visitation drop offs, pick ups etcetera?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Sharon R. Moss
Sharon R. Moss
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Manassas, VA

A: Virginia Code section 20-108.2 states that "any child support order shall provide that the parents pay in proportion to their gross incomes, as used for calculating the monthly support obligation, any reasonable and necessary unreimbursed medical or dental expenses." So unless it is stated otherwise, you are likely responsible for your proportionate share of the unreimbursed medical expenses.

With regard to your move, you can petition the court, however, if it was your decision to move, the court is not likely to order the custodial parent meet you half way. It would depend on the circumstances of your move, so talk to an attorney for more specific advice on your situation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.