Minneapolis, MN asked in Child Custody and Family Law for Tennessee

Q: How can I motion the court about the custody of my children in Tennessee from MN? We are MN residents kids in dcs tn

I have been actively doing everything dcs requested but they in return are keeping my kids more and more away from me I even got a house in Tennessee and started working at 3 different jobs I haven't seen my kids only but twice and our phonecalls have been taken away w/out court children told me and the visit coordinator through Omni at the last visit I had with my kids how they were abused at prior two homes& the conditions of their living environments. I was informed by the visit coordinator that she was making a report for them to be removed from that placement

ever since that switch to a new home has been made I have been denied any contact with my children. My fsw hasn't filed paperwork for any family placement or icp she doesn't do anything and the court appointed lawyer hasn't submitted anything on my behalf that I ask of her or even voicing my concerns or respecting and protecting and EXCERCISE my rights their guardian ad litem is in the best interest of the dcs not my kids

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
David C. Veazey
David C. Veazey
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Chattanooga, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: You raise a lot of issues. Since you have a court-appointed attorney, you need to make use of that as best you can. If you believe the attorney is not representing you effectively, first try to schedule a time to meet with her. Bring up your concerns and ask her what you need to do to get your visitation back, and eventually custody. If after that meeting, you still feel that you and your attorney cannot see eye to eye, explain your concerns about her to the court, either at the next review hearing or through a formal written motion. Regaining custody from DCS from another state is hard, but not impossible.

2 users found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.