Naperville, IL asked in Adoption for Illinois

Q: I'm an unwed pregnant woman who is thinking of giving my baby up for adoption.

I'm worried that my hormones aren't making me think straight about it. What happens if I change my mind after I give birth and decide to keep the baby?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James G. Ahlberg
James G. Ahlberg
  • Family Law Lawyer
  • Rochelle, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: 1. If you sign a consent for adoption BEFORE the child is born, you have 72 hours after the birth of the child to change your mind and revoke your consent to the adoption.

2. AFTER the child is born you cannot sign a consent or surrender for adoption until at least 72 hours have passed.

3. AFTER the birth of the child, if 72 hours pass before you sign a consent or surrender for adoption it is irrevocable.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.