Portland, OR asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Oregon

Q: how do i get my daughter back, when courts and police wont help

my ex has taken my 10yrs without my permission. he is not listed on birth cert. no father is listed, i was married at the time. the police wont help they say its civil issue. courts wont help because he is not on birth cert. i have given him time with her in the past. just because i recognized him as potentially father he kidnaps her.this needs to be changed

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
M. Nicole Clooten
M. Nicole Clooten
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Pendleton, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: This is a tough problem that I have seen in the past. If he is not on the birth certificate or otherwise legally established as the father, he is likely committing kidnapping. The police should help. Ask to speak to a supervisor or the captain of the police department and explain what is happening. At the same time, you should probably file for custody through the court and file a status quo order to get the child back, depending on how long he has had the child.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.