Lincoln, NE asked in Personal Injury and Real Estate Law for Nebraska

Q: I found out my name & my sibling name was added to parents home deed, we didn't sign anything. Should I worry?

They live in the home & it's only valued at under $11k. There's no mortgage. The concerns are: we didn't sign anything to agree to this; they are financially unstable; have large medical bills & we don't know if they pay taxes or insure it. Could we be held liable if they don't pay property taxes? Or if someone injured on the property? Should they ever be sued, could anyone come after the property I live in and own? After looking on the county assessors website, it does list all our names. Advice please.

1 Lawyer Answer
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing

A: Depends how it's added. May be good or not. I think you need to consult an attorney for the way it should be that would be best.

If you and sib are tenants by the entireties with right of survivorship" it can be good but may have consequences. Speak to an attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.