Colorado Springs, CO asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Colorado

Q: Is it true that the decision maker can not modify or revoke any rights of the parents that already exist in an order?

I have a PCDM that I believe is acting way outside the law. She refuses to discus any parenting matters with me, and simply hands down decisions that attempt to strip my parental rights. For instance, she recently decided the kids should have a medical procedure without talking to me about my opinions on it. And she told me I am not to attend the procedure, even though our parenting agreement gives me to right to be present at all doctor’s appointments.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

John Hyland Barrett III

  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: This depends on the terms of the order appointing the PCDM. She should not contradict the explicit terms of the Parenting plan unless she was given that authority. You can request the court review her orders. There are short time periods for doing that. You should retain an attorney to review the Parenting Plan and advise you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.