Medford, OR asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Oregon

Q: We have full custody now my step son's mom wants full custody how does it look for us?

She allowed him to accidentally ingest pot brownies and didn't take him to the hospital which is why she doesn't have joint custody anymore. As well as she lives 5 hours away. She doesn't pay child support and only calls two times a week for 5 minutes. Now she wants to file for full custody. How does it look for us?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
M. Nicole Clooten
M. Nicole Clooten
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Pendleton, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: In order to change custody from one parent to the other, the moving party has to prove that there has been a substantial change in circumstances. From the facts you have given, that seems unlikely. I would need to know a bit more about the facts and background, but it generally sounds like she would not have a very strong case.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.