Arvada, CO asked in Child Support for Colorado

Q: In Co, was divorced w/2 kids. Was not served child support order/ court summons so I missed court . 5 yrs pass, help!

I missed the divorce court hearing and I’m assuming child support would be determined there. I was never served properly or at all to my knowledge. X wife had contact with me but never notified of such. I did sign divorce paperwork with her. 5-6 years have now passed and I’ve had no notice, no warrant, no garnishments, no taxes withheld. I’ve carried a drivers license the whole time. I’ve never made it a point to hide. I don’t want serious repercussions down the road if there is an order in place. I want to pay and contribute and do my part. If I hired a lawyer, could they help if my x agreed to forgive my arrears so that I could start clean and continue making payments from them on if there is an order?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
John Hyland Barrett III
John Hyland Barrett III
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: We need to start by reviewing the court file to see if an order entered. You may have agreed to child support in the papers you signed. Those papers may substitute for service on you. Once we know that we can figure out how to proceed from there. It would help if your ex was agreeable.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.