Evanston, IL asked in Stockbroker Fraud for Illinois

Q: What agency would I complain to about the way my stockbroker is handling my account? I'm not sure if it's legal.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Alex Schmidt
Alex Schmidt
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Cranford, NJ

A: If you feel your investment account is being mismanaged you can report this to Financial Industry Regulatory Authority or ("FINRA"). This self-regulatory organization or ("SRO") oversees brokerdealers and sets compliance rules by which they must act. FINRA is where customer complaints against broker dealers for any type of misconduct are filed and FINRA rules and procedures set the terms by which they are adjudicated. The manner in which your complaint will be handled will really depend on the facts but a FINRA examiner will certainly be able to better assist you. If the FINRA examiner determines that misconduct did in fact occur, the brokerdealer at which your stockbroker works will be informed and a FINRA regulatory inquiry may in fact be opened. Next the examiner will tell you that you may - again depending on the facts - consider filing a separate customer complaint to recover investment losses. This customer complaint would be separate and independent of the FINRA regulatory inquiry and could be handled by you the investor on a pro se basis. FINRA rules and the manner in which a FINRA arbitration is conducted are fairly technical, so it would be beneficial to consider at that point, retaining an attorney who specializes in brokerdealer and securities law and is well versed in the FINRA Code of Arbitration Procedure.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.