Denver, CO asked in Criminal Law, Personal Injury, Domestic Violence and Federal Crimes for Colorado

Q: Is it unlawful to tell somebody in by way of publication, I will sqeeze it out of you...

In a online smear campaign this guy says I owe him money and he will sqeeze it out of me and he knows where I live and he will get me. Is this criminal harrassment or criminal threat?

1 Lawyer Answer
John Kenneth Joyner
John Kenneth Joyner
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Colorado Springs, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: If you feel you are being threatened you can contact local law enforcement and let them decide if there is probable cause to charge the person with a crime.

You can also make a copy of the threats and take them down to the courthouse to request a temporary protection order. You can then request a hearing to have the order made permanent. You will be required to have the paperwork served on the restrained party before the permanent protection order hearing.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.