Rochester, NY asked in Stockbroker Fraud for New York

Q: My stockbroker was part of a Ponzi scheme and he subsequently filed for bankruptcy. Can I still recover money I lost

from him?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Alex Schmidt
Alex Schmidt
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Cranford, NJ
  • Licensed in New York

A: Even if your stockbroker has filed for bankruptcy you may still be able to recover investment assets lost in connection with the Ponzi scheme. If your stockbroker was licensed with a registered broker dealer then a FINRA arbitration could be commenced against the broker dealer and recovery of your lost investment assets could be made through that entity. If your stockbroker was operating as an independent advisor then recovery can be a little more of an issue. Much will depend on affiliations with other investment advisors that your stockbroker may have been working for as an agent. For instance, our lawfirm is presently involved in litigation against an investment advisor in connection with a Ponzi scheme. The investment advisor ran an LLC and operated an advisory as an independent but was also an agent for another investment advisor. Through this agent/principal relationship we were able to form a cause of action against the broker dealer for recovery of our clients lost assets connected with the Ponzi scheme.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.