Summit, NJ asked in DUI / DWI for New Jersey

Q: Is there a penalty if you're driving while on pain medication that was prescribed to you?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

H. Scott Aalsberg Esq.

  • DUI & DWI Lawyer
  • East Brunswick, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: The penalty for driving under the influence of prescribed medication is the same penalty as it is for driving under the influence of alcohol except that the minimum loss of license is for 7 months not 3. Thus for a first offense the basic penalties start at 7-12 months loss of license, up to 30 days in jail, 12 to 48 hours completion of Intoxicated Resource Drivers Center etc, etc. If your charged you should seriously consider hiring a lawyer. Although the vast majority of DUI's are lost if you look at it statistically, you have no chance without a good lawyer.

Leon Matchin

  • DUI & DWI Lawyer
  • Milltown, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: If it renders you under the influence or in other words if it impairs you or has a deleterious effect on your driving then you may be subject to arrest and prosecutor for DUI.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.