Asked in Family Law and Car Accidents for Idaho

Q: can I stop my boyfriends mom from taking half of his ashes?

My boyfriend passed away unexpectedly in a car accident. His mom has requested half of his ashes. She hasn't been apart of his life since he was very young. His father had full custody of him. We don't feel she deserves half his ashes

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kevin M Rogers
Kevin M Rogers
  • Boise, ID
  • Licensed in Idaho

A: His ashes are the only thing he had that he could will to anyone, but he died without a will, so the Uniform Probate Code dictates that his ashes would pass to his children in per stirpes. If he had no children but is survived by parents, his ashes will pass to his parents in equal shares. You were never married to him and have absolutely no say in the matter. I’m sorry.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.