Ankeny, IA asked in Intellectual Property and Trademark for Iowa

Q: If a trademark saying was active but has now been abandoned, can I step in and take over with a similar trademark?

Trademark taken by another person/company: Live by the seed of your plants

Our trademark: We live by the seeds of our plants

2 Lawyer Answers

Andrew Zulieve Esq

  • Trademarks Lawyer
  • Waldoboro, ME

A: If the trademark was registered with the U.S. Trademark Office, but the status of the registration is listed as abandoned, that does not necessarily mean that the trademark is no longer in use in commerce and abandoned within that context. It may still be in use in commerce and protected under common law principles. Determining if a trademark is actually abandoned is fact-driven and can be complex and complicated. Accordingly, you should have an experienced trademark attorney explore fully explore the issue and provide you with an opinion of abandonment.

1 user found this answer helpful

Griffin Klema

  • Trademarks Lawyer
  • Tampa, FL

A: If you want my longer explanation to this common question, see my blog post:

I too agree that you should probably get a clearance opinion from a trademark lawyer if you want a more reassuring answer. It will involve exploring the abandoned mark, and possibly looking for others with common law trademark rights. Trademark rights exist through use!

Good luck!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.