Lithonia, GA asked in Wrongful Death for Georgia

Q: If my children father died wrongfully and the mother of the decent filed a lawsuit, do i have to be involved in it?

I have two children from a past bad relationship. Me and my children got away from this relationship in 2007. We started a new and better life and didnt have much to do with the decent. 2 years ago my childrens father died in his apartment from a fire. The mother of the decent filed a lawsuit. There was no financial relations between the decent and my children. We were not involved in his life. We had our own life and had nothing to do with his. What are my legal rights if i dont want myself or my children involved in any lawsuit? I didnt file the lawsuit. I have two children but dont have any interest in any lawsuit. What are my legal rights if i dont want any involvement with this?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Robert W. Hughes Jr.
Robert W. Hughes Jr.
  • Lawrenceville, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: if you die wrongfully in Georgia, the surviving spouse of the deceased person has a right to file a claim for the wrongful death. If she recovers anything. she is required to share the recovery with the deceased's children. The children will get 2/3 of the recovery and the spouse will get 1/3 of the money. You should hire a lawyer to make sure your children who are his children share in the recovery.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.