Lowell, MA asked in Estate Planning and Probate for Indiana

Q: I was awarded a monetary sum by my friends will.

The will instructed another to send the money to the individual caring for her cats, that's me. I did not receive the money. How do I proceed?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Alexander Florian Steciuch
Alexander Florian Steciuch
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Valparaiso, IN
  • Licensed in Indiana

A: If there is a probate estate opened and still open, you contact the personal representative of the estate asking for your distribution. If the personal representative does not respond or denies you, you retain counsel and have him or her petition the court to force the personal representative to respond. It's best to retain counsel and if that is not economically feasible for you, at least schedule a consultation to obtain legal advice after reviewing all of the facts, information and documents, including a copy of the will and what has already been filed with the court.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.