Madison, TN asked in Business Formation and Business Law for Tennessee

Q: I started my own business with a partner. She wants to back out and no longer be o co owner. How do I remove her in TN?

2 Lawyer Answers

Frank J. Steiner

  • Nashville, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: You must file the appropriate paperwork with the Secretary of State.

Mr. James Charles Wright

  • Knoxville, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: Sorry- I hate to give "it depends" answers. But - it depends. If the two of you have just started- and have not filed any documents anywhere- then it can be pretty simple- you simply would reach an agreement that would terminate the arrangement between the two of you IN WRITING- so there are no misunderstandings - hard feelings later. If there have been filings- bank accounts- then you would need to include this in the agreement and then "undo" these. This is all based upon your statement that "your partner" - that this is a general Tennessee partnership. If this is an LLC or a corporation - then the answer is different- but may be suprisingly easier than you might think.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.