Skokie, IL asked in Probate for Illinois

Q: I am an heir/legatee in an estate. There were several court dates and I was not notified nor given the filed motions.

What recourse do I have? I thought that the court required all interested parties to be notified of all court activity.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Stephanie Sexauer
Stephanie Sexauer
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Chicago, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: You're correct; if you're an heir or legatee of an estate, the court will require the attorney for the proposed executor or administrator to send notice (when to send notice depends on whether the Decedent died with or without a will). It's possible the matter has been continued to give notice. It's also possible the attorney does not have your contact information, which means he or she merely needs to publish a notice in the newspaper. If you want to make sure you're notified of all proceedings, you should consider hiring an attorney of your own who will file an appearance on your behalf.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.