Joes, CO asked in Child Support and Tax Law for Colorado

Q: I have a signed 8332 and divorce decree grants me to claim child on taxes. Can I still claim if I have arrears balance?

The 8332 is for all years and states the same in our divorce decree. I am in arrears from 2016 and 2017 that just got a judgement on it. I understand they will take my return, but can I still claim my child?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
D. Mathew Blackburn
D. Mathew Blackburn
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: If the arrearages are for child support, no you can't claim the child. If it's for taxes then yes, but they'll apply any refund against the arrearages.

Chad Silver
Chad Silver pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: The new Tax Code changes as a result of the Jobs Act removed your ability to claim a child as a dependent. You may still be eligible for child care tax credits. This is the first year for the new changes and you may be surprised (happy or mad) about the results.


Chad Silver Attorney at Law

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.