Chesterton, IN asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Indiana

Q: Can I change my visitation schedule?

My current decree doesn’t have a visitation schedule, we are to work it out due to his work schedule. He works swing shifts and his schedule is never the same. I want to have set times due to his lack of communication and commitment to his time with her. I often get last-minute cancellations, last minute wanting to have her, and there’s never any structure with his times.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Clarissa Finnell
Clarissa Finnell
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Indianapolis, IN
  • Licensed in Indiana

A: Child related provisions are always modifiable. In order to modify the existing order, you would have the burden of proving there has been a substantial change in circumstances since the last order of the court warranting change you are requesting. I recommend that you have a family law attorney review your Decree and facts of your case to assist you in determining possible outcomes of a modification.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.