Seminole, FL asked in Probate for Florida

Q: mom passed away . 2 brothers living in her house. House is in my name, electric still in moms. Can I have it turned off

Still in probate but mom left everything to me. Im selling the property next year. The electric is still in moms name so Can I have it turned off since I dont live there. Brothers were told to transfer into their name but have not. I have been paying for the electric. Brothers live there free.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mr. Long H. Duong
Mr. Long H. Duong
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Gainesville, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: You should consult with your probate attorney if you're already in probate.

That said: Consider contacting the utility company and explaining that your mother passed. They will provide you with options for transferring or scheduling shutdown of service.

If possible, notify your brothers so they can take over service if they intend to stay there.

If you do nothing, the utility company will eventually shut it off for non-payment and they may file a claim against your mother's estate in probate court for the amount due.

Again, consult with your attorney for firm, reliable advice.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.