Price, UT asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Colorado

Q: Can I withhold visitation UNTIL there is a court order for parent time in place?

My boyfriend moved out. We have never been married. We have an 11 month old baby. We have NO parent time court order.

He keeps wanting to take him, but I'm afraid he wont bring him back. I've told him he can visit with the baby at my house until there is acourt order in place, but he has only agreed to do that the first few he just demands that I let him take him. I'm willing to work with him, but he is making it difficult.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
John Hyland Barrett III
John Hyland Barrett III
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: Until there is a court order, either parent is entitled to possession of the child. If you and the father can not agree on a parenting time schedule, one of you should file a court case to get appropriate orders. The court is likely to give him some parenting time unless there is a good reason not to. You should retain an attorney for this.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.