Provo, UT asked in Contracts for Utah

Q: Land Lord Breaches Contract but wont let me terminate the lease

i pay for rent, plus an extra sum of money for sewer garbage and water to the landlord. The landlord is supposed to pay for sew, garbage and water and is stated in the contract. The landlord never has paid for garbage so the city started to charge the garbage to me. so i was paying double. i want to terminate my lease so iam using this as a breach of contract. would this be a big enough of a breach to terminate my lease without penalty ?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Wesley Winsor
Wesley Winsor
  • Saint George, UT
  • Licensed in Utah

A: Good question, it seems like you have understood the issues correctly. Your question of whether the breach is a "significant enough" breach is on point.

I think that you could certainly make a good argument that it is. The buildup of waste on a property due to non-disposal could and would make a place eventually uninhabitable and would certainly disturb your peace and enjoyment of the property with smells and clutter of undisposed garbage.

I think that it would be big enough to terminate with out penalty, but I would give the LL a chance to cure (give him notice that you deem it a breach and of your intent to terminate unless he starts paying the bill and reimburses you for your expenditures).

Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.