Sunrise Beach, MO asked in Family Law, Adoption and Child Custody for Missouri

Q: Father has been absent for a year and a half due to failing to comply with the court order of a drug test.

I am filing to get Sole Legal and Physical Custody. I need advice and help on what my chances are and what my defense is to protect my child. I am currently in a serious relationship and engaged. We have spoke about adoption but are not sure on what that process entails or what we need in order to successfully receive the adoption. Any help would be appreciated.

1 Lawyer Answer
Lydia Seifner
Lydia Seifner
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Springfield, MO
  • Licensed in Missouri

A: Considering that the father has been absent for so long, and did not comply with court orders, you may very well be able to get sole custody, especially if he continues to be absent and does not respond to the petition for custody.

Regarding your engagement, you and your new spouse will need to be married for six months before he is eligible to adopt the child.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.