Milwaukee, WI asked in Landlord - Tenant for Wisconsin

Q: How long does a landlord has after judgement been issued for him to return the deposit and prorated rent to me?

I moved out of this house in August 17, 2018. It wasn't until today in court November 27, 2018 where the court found him (the defendent) to pay back my deposit and prorated rent. This included expenses I occurred during this time in August. In my narrative statement. I also requested $3000 in punitive damages because the landlord intentionally did not return all my money owed to me after I moved out August 17, 2018 and commited fraud knowing the property wasn't up to housing code, not ready to rent, and failer to produce additional paperwork tenants signs prior to moving into a property. Can I be compensated under the law knowing he moliously rented this place to me?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jason Anthony Greller
Jason Anthony Greller
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Madison, WI
  • Licensed in Wisconsin

A: Landlord has a certain amount of time to appeal the judgment. Assuming he does not appeal you may then try to collect on the judgment. The Wisconsin Court System publishes a pamphlet on the Basic Steps in Collecting on a Judgment for Money. A link to that overview is located at

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.