Marietta, GA asked in Medical Malpractice for Louisiana

Q: how can I find out if a malpractice case was filed in Louisiana?

My son passed in 1994 at the age of 2 years and 10 months. He was born with a heart defect and successfully had heart surgery. While home he contracted a virus and was bought to the hospital, he had a reaction to a medication given to him while in the hospital and the medicine was discontinued. Within less than 24 hours he was given that same medication and went into cardiac arrest. While attempting to save him the paddles weren't charged and he passed. That's the short version. I hired a lawyer and the case went as far as disposition in another state to question one of his nurses about what she knew. Out the blue, I was called and told they were not going to pursue the case. The hospital my son was at is very well known.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Douglas Lee Bryan
Douglas Lee Bryan
  • Marksville, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: Unless a panel request was made within, at the latest, 3 years from the date of the alleged malpractice, then it would likely be too late to pursue it. You can call the LA Division of Administration or go to for more information on the medical review process. It sounds as if the case probably went through the review process, but the attorney declined to file suit after the review panel made its determination.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.