Jackson, MI asked in Criminal Law for Michigan

Q: How can you prove innocence in a probation violation if the police only took one side of the story and turned it in?

My x wife told cops I violated my no contact order with her when in fact I only ever contacted her mom to set up visitation for me and my kids! She had to have told police that my messages to my mother in law's phone were to herself pretending the phone was hers and no police ever tried to contact me regarding anything, they just took her side of it and turned it into my po, then I get a show cause hearing in the mail for revocation of my probation! I don't know what to do I was told by my divorce attorney I was supposed to contact my mother in law regarding visitation as she is the "supervisor" please help asap

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Daniel Hilf
Daniel Hilf
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Troy, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: You need a lawyer to help you. A probation violation, if admitted to or proven, could lead to incarceration.

Your lawyer will obtain a copy of the violation against you, which may contain more specific information concerning the date, time, and location of the alleged violation(s). There may be evidence to contract your ex-wife's account, such as: phone records (with cell phone tower location(s)); alibi witnesses; business records (time cards); etc.

Certainly your ex-wife may have a motivation to make this allegation up, such as: child visitation issues; anger; jealousy; child support/alimony issues. Your lawyer will have to explore this as well with you.

It may boil down to a credibility determination by your Judge. In any regard, make sure you have proper legal representation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.