Saint Paul, MN asked in Traffic Tickets and Car Accidents for Minnesota

Q: There is a bad snow storm happening with significant wet snow. I was trying to make the turn onto my street.

I was driving very slowly but there was no stopping, the car kept sliding on slusshy snow and hit the pole holding the street names. The pole tilted a bit. Not realizing how much damage had happened to my car, I drove the one block to my house. Now, I can see the extent of the damage and it is significant. I don't know what my next step should be. Do I call the police? Am I in trouble for leaving the scene? The thought to call police never crossed my mind until I got home because no one else was involved.

1 Lawyer Answer
Thomas C Gallagher
Thomas C Gallagher
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Minneapolis, MN
  • Licensed in Minnesota

A: You could call and check with police. Whether they want to respond directly may depend on the amount of damage to the sign pole. You may want to check with your insurance company to see if you have coverage, and whether they need a police report. They might not other than a hit & run hitting you. Minnesota law may require you to file a Motor Vehicle Accident Report depending on the amount of damage. You could check with the Minnesota Department of Public Safety website for more on that. Hope your day goes better!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.