Reading, PA asked in Family Law and Divorce for Pennsylvania

Q: Enforce a Marital Agreement post divorced

We were divorced a few month. In Marital agreement incorporated with Divorce decree that we agreed to sale the house and divide assets. The ex is not corporating to sale the house, what legal steps I need to take to enforce the agreement? Will I able to recover lawyer fee for work on the enforcement? Thanks

Related Topics:
3 Lawyer Answers

Cary B. Hall

  • Norristown, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: You could file a petition for contempt to enforce the martial agreement (which now has the force of a court order, since it was incorporated into the divorce decree). And yes, you could get attorney's fees as part of it - although that's in the discretion of the court.

If you'd like to talk further about your case (and I do practice family law in Berks Co.), feel free to contact me offsite through my Justia profile. Best of luck to you.

Kathryn Hilbush

  • Media, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: If you had an attorney for your divorce, I'd suggest that you get in touch with him or her. If not, contact an experienced family law attorney in your county. Your agreement ,most likely sets forth means for enforcement of the Agreement. Most agreements also include language concerning obtaining a counsel fees award for successfully prosecuting a claim of contempt on non-compliance with the Agreement.

Dawn Padanyi

  • Doylestown, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: The terms of your marital settlement agreement are the road map for your rights concerning the home and attorney's fees. It would be wise to schedule a consultation with an attorney to review your marital settlement agreement then advise you on the next appropriate steps to meet your goals. Most Agreements include enforcement provisions with the potential for attorney's fees if either party is found to be in contempt of the agreement.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.