Lawrenceville, GA asked in Child Custody, Child Support and Family Law for Georgia

Q: Recently won custody of 15 yo son. Child support stopped but sent payment to another mother who refuses to give it back.

Unfortunately I have two exes, let's say Ex #1 and Ex #2, that I was paying support to. I am remarried. Recently I won custody of my son from Ex #1 and the Child Support order that I was paying was stopped. There was one payment left that I had to give to Ex #1 and then she would start paying me. However, Child support sent the payment that should come to me to pay Ex #1 to Ex #2 and she says she is going to keep it and has already spent it. She received it 3 days ago. She is on Section 8 (has a masters degree and refuses to work but that is another story). Can I or how do I recoupe the money that does not belong to her and belongs to the other mother. Child support says they can do nothing even though these were two separate cases.

1 Lawyer Answer
P. Justin Thrailkill
P. Justin Thrailkill
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Fayetteville, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: Even though they screwed up, unfortunately, you can't get this back. Just deduct it from what you would've paid her for next month. Make sure they account for it in their system to show the overpayment.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.