Danville, GA asked in Child Support for Georgia

Q: Do I have to have a lawyer to terminate child support when my child turns 18? She dropped out of school. I am the NCP.

She turns 18 at the end of this month. We live in Georgia. Do I just stop sending payments?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

Regina Irene Edwards

  • Lawrenceville, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: You need to bring your order to an attorney to discuss. If your child is 18 and no longer in school, generally child support is not still owed, but that depends on what the child support paperwork says.

P. Justin Thrailkill

  • Fayetteville, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: Not necessarily, but it is not as easy as just stopping payments. You need to get a declaratory judgment noting that child support will be stopped because the child is no longer in school. If you don't know how to do this on your own, I'd suggest hiring a lawyer.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.