Asked in Family Law and Child Support for Oregon

Q: What do I get for the child support I pay to the other party?

My child is with me one day less than paid party every week. The other party being paid never sends any provisions a long(spare clothes, shoes, etc) most of the time i never get through on phone to talk to my child - no call backs or phones full of messages. My understanding is the party being paid cash doesn't have to be accountable for a red cent of it...

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jessica Larsen
Jessica Larsen
  • Hillsboro, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: You present a few issues here. The first and most relevant answer I can offer is that you get nothing for paying child support. The purpose of paying child support is to support your child on the days they are not with you. The paid parent may use the money as they see fit and do not have to offer an accounting to you. If you feel what you pay is not justified because you spend roughly an equivalent amount of time with your child as the other parent, you may use the child support calculator on the Oregon Child Support Website to reevaluate your payments and consult with an attorney about your options.

In terms of not receiving return phone calls and clothing for your child, you may be able to take action. Many parenting plans have standard terms that each parent must provide clothing and provisions for their own home, but if your parenting plan says the other parent must provide those things, you could file a Motion to Enforce the Judgment. You would take the same action if your parenting plan says you may have phone calls outside of your parenting time.

Please consult with an attorney if you have more questions or are unsure of what actions you can take.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.