Sioux City, IA asked in Criminal Law for Iowa

Q: I am getting charged with sexual abuse 3rd degree what will happen to me

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Katherine Sears
Katherine Sears
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Des Moines, IA
  • Licensed in Iowa

A: Iowa Code 709.4 defines sexual abuse 3rd here:

Once you’re arrested or served with a summons to appear, your first court appearance is usually the initial appearance. Your initial appearance will happen within 24 hours of arrest if you’re in custody. At your initial appearance, the judge will tell you what you’re being charged with, what the possible consequences are, and how much you’ll have to pay to bond out of custody.

Read more about the next steps in the criminal process here:

Sexual abuse 3rd is a class C felony. You can find info about felony sentencing and about the sex offender registry here:

What you need to do is sit down with a criminal defense attorney and discuss any options you may have for evidence suppression and/or dismissal. Your attorney will also discuss plea bargaining possibilities with you, and if you choose to exercise your right to a trial, your attorney will help you prepare for trial.

No one other than your attorney has attorney-client privilege. Don't talk to anyone about your charges other than an attorney. Do not talk to the police or the prosecutor on your own behalf until you've spoken to an attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.