Cedar Rapids, IA asked in Child Custody for Missouri

Q: My sons mother and teacher are withholding educational information from me regarding my son, i have full rights to.

Among dozens of other noncompliant issues my sons mother does against our court ordered parenting plan. She has texted that the teacher and herself are withholding important educational information about my son. The parenting plan states I get all information that she does. What can we do about this legally? In missouri.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

Kristen Thurmond

  • Kansas City, MO
  • Licensed in Missouri

A: One solution to the school issue is to call the school and ask about how to receive information directly from them as a parent who lives out of town. Most schools have online portals to view grades, correspondence, attendance, etc. At the very least, make sure you're receiving letters, notices, etc. by mail or email. It may mean you have to take a trip to the school with your judgment and ID card before you can speak to anyone, though.

As for other issues, it sounds like you need to speak with an attorney experienced in modifying parenting plans to see if you need to file a motion for contempt, motion to modify, or family access motion (possibly even all three).

Lydia Seifner

  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Springfield, MO
  • Licensed in Missouri

A: You could spend a lot of money trying to enforce the current orders in your parenting plan, or you can just go talk to the school. One of the simplest things to do is to first contact the teacher and make sure your ex isn't making things up. If the teacher insists on withholding information, then talk to the principle and superintendent, and make sure to show them a copy of the parenting plan.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.