Arlington, TN asked in Criminal Law for Tennessee

Q: Who do I pay the money to to get my car back. I’m trying to see what I have to do. I’m lost! My car got seized

I would like to hire a lawyer

Related Topics:
3 Lawyer Answers

Lawrence James Arnkoff

  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Brentwood, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: In Tennessee if you have to pay anything to have your vehicle returned

in a forfeiture procedure it will be to the seizing law enforcement

agency for the settlement and the administrative costs are paid

to the clerk of the Department of Motor Vehicles and Highway Safety.

Customarily the attorneys for the DMVHS will negotiate what is

considered to be a "buy back" amount based on the offense and the value the vehicle. If you hire an experienced forfeiture attorney he or she

could possibly find there is no justification for the seizure and litigate the matter before an administrative judge. If you visit my website you will see

I have experience in forfeiture work and I would be glad to offer you

a free consultation. My contact number is on my website.

Mr. Kent Thomas Jones Esq.

  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Cleveland, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: I've had clients go through the process, and sometimes it is far more difficult than you would realize. One client parked his car at the pool at his neighborhood on a Friday night at 7:00 pm. knowing that there would be a ton of cars there the next day. If I remember, he was low on gas. The police contract with a tow yard to tow and keep the car. They will not release the car until the police give authorization. Over a period of 3 weeks, he called every department that he knew about and even had the police come to his house. He also called the City Attorney's office. No authorization was given, and the tow yard ran the bill up on a daily basis. Finally, he called the Chief of Police, and the matter was resolved; however the tow storage bill was $600. The police would do nothing about it, because they considered it a relationship between him and the tow yard. He ended up paying the $600. He had not hired me and only talked to me after the fact. So, the answer is two-part. Call the Chief of Police or retain an attorney. I would recommend the latter.

Anthony M. Avery

  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Knoxville, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: You have a very limited amount of time to demand a Hearing and pay the Cash Bond to the Department of Safety. I suggest you either hire an attorney or file it yourself today. You should have received a Notice of Seizure, upon which a Notice of Forfeiture is issued.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.