Joplin, MO asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Child Support for Missouri

Q: Father willingly wanting to terminate rights?

The father of my child is wanting to terminate his rights and I’m not entirely sure how this would happen. He abused me, he sells drugs and is very unstable. He doesn’t even have a place to live. Im just wondering, how would we, he and I, go about doing it?

1 Lawyer Answer

Kristen Thurmond

  • Kansas City, MO
  • Licensed in Missouri

A: Contact an attorney to help you or look at the self representation forms on the Missouri courts website. A father cannot terminate his rights unless another individual is going to step in to take his place. He can agree to no custody and you can agree to no child support. However, it is in your child's best interests to receive support from both parents if they're physically able to contribute. That said, every situation is unique. Talk with an attorney in your area.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.