Eustis, NE asked in Immigration Law for Nebraska

Q: I moved over here to the US over 3 years ago on the K1 visa and my husband wants to split up, what are my options

I havent got my 10 year green card yet, will I be deported, can I stay in the US if I want ?

Thank you

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kevin L Dixler
Kevin L Dixler
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Milwaukee, WI

A: If you married your husband based upon a K-1 visa, then you have proven that you entered the marriage in good faith. The only issue is whether the I-864 must be completed by your husband. There are significant legal arguments. I strongly recommend an appointment with a competent and experienced immigration attorney before there are any other complications. Good luck.

The above is general information, not legal advice, and does not create an attorney client relationship. Note that Immigration law is a Federal practice, which allows attorneys to represent clients, where they are licensed in any state within the United States of America.

Ms Grace I Gardiner agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.