Warrensburg, MO asked in Child Custody and Child Support for Missouri

Q: Ex-wife, primary care parent, asked me to keep son "for a few months" while she goes to rehab. Grounds for full custody?

I live in Missouri. I'm active duty Air Force. Divorced June 30, 2017. She lives in Murfreesboro. Sporadic employment and now admits to multiple recreational drug use. I want to flip our custody agreement which is $523/mo and 63 days per year. I want him to live with me and not pay child support at all.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

Kristen Thurmond

  • Kansas City, MO
  • Licensed in Missouri

A: You need to get an attorney immediately. The sooner you file, the sooner your child support obligations will stop or be retroactively stopped and the sooner you can get a new custody arrangement ordered by the court. Drug use is a very serious problem that judges will consider greatly when determining custody.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.