Grover, MO asked in Criminal Law, Child Custody and Child Support for Missouri

Q: Is it illegal when a minor doesn't do any kind of schoolwork, and the parent doesn't do much about it?

She's also been abused, and she's kept in her house 24/7, unless she is at her church or out to eat. She isn't allowed to even walk away from her condo 25 ft. She's been called "slow, dumb, stupid, worthless, etc" and more degrading things. Is there anything I can do legally about this while remaining contact with the minor?

1 Lawyer Answer
Lydia Seifner
Lydia Seifner
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Springfield, MO
  • Licensed in Missouri

A: While parents not enforcing homework, is not illegal, or abusive; the rest of what you describe is abusive. Contact your local social services about the child's situation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.