Winterport, ME asked in Banking for Maine

Q: A payee was appointed to manage my finances because I was scammed. How do I get control of my finances again?

Over a period of 1 1/2 years I lost everything to scammers. Several organizations were involved and saved me from eviction and auto repossession. A payee was appointed. It has been 5 months and my bills are almost caught back up. I want to run my own life but my mental health physician says he will not allow even though I am only treated for minor depression. What can I do? I have 3 direct deposits.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Fred Bopp III
Fred Bopp III
  • Business Law Lawyer
  • Yarmouth, ME
  • Licensed in Maine

A: Hello,

I am not sure this is a banking question but, in any event, it would be helpful to have some additional information. Who is the payee that is handling all of your finances currently? How was that person appointed? Have you spoken to him or her about whether you can again control your own finances? If so, what did he or she say?

Fred Bopp

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.