Asked in Landlord - Tenant for Indiana

Q: Can my landlord change our lease before the original agreement is up? New man. Comp is asking us to sign another lease

changing when rent is due and late, rent amount, and adding water to a utility we have to pay that the owner usually pays?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Alexander Florian Steciuch
Alexander Florian Steciuch
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Valparaiso, IN
  • Licensed in Indiana

A: No. If you sign a lease agreement for a term, both you and the landlord are bound by the terms in lease agreement. A landlord may not unilaterally change those terms without your consent. Once the lease agreement has been completed, a landlord may have you sign a new lease agreement with new terms. However, if you do not like those terms you may renegotiate those terms or choose not to sign the new lease agreement.

Consult with an attorney in your area for legal advice. Any information provided here is just for general information purposes.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.