Tell City, IN asked in Intellectual Property and Real Estate Law for Indiana

Q: I am listed with my brothers on property ET AL One is now deceased

We are only three on deed of property our father resided until his passing. One brother also died 15 years prior to my father. Now my remaining brother and I want to sell property. Will we be required to give a death certificate or other documents to transfer property to new owner? And would they make check payable to my brother and I ? There is no money owed on property.

SO..ET AL... My brother was married at the time of his death. He had 3 adult children at that time as well.

I thought the law stated that because it was listed as our 3 names and "ET AL" we had to have the wife to sign and also his 3 children to transfer the deed to our names. But you are saying we can transfer without their signatures?

1 Lawyer Answer
Alexander Florian Steciuch
Alexander Florian Steciuch
  • Valparaiso, IN
  • Licensed in Indiana

A: Assuming that you owned the property jointly with rights of survivorship with your brothers, once your first brother passed away, his interest automatically transferred to the survivors (you and your other brother). If this is the case, you can take the deceased brother's name off the property with a survivorship affidavit and record it with the county. A survivorship affidavit usually requires a death certificate to be recorded.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.