Front Royal, VA asked in Tax Law for Virginia

Q: I need to repay the IRS for having excess income related to the ACA financial guidelines. See below for more info.

I am finding it difficult to locate an attorney with direct experience in that area. How do you best search for a lawyer who has such focused experience ? I live near Front Royal/Winchester but travel to Northern VA frequently.

Background: I have been unemployed for several years and had to take early Social Security.... ie, at 62; I turn 65 this year. I found work for 3 months in 2017. That put me over the limit for both SSA and the IRS. I had to repay the SSA and now I owe back all the money I made at that 3 month job because of exceeding the ACA limits. I do not have the money nor any access to such money.... over $12k.... as I am maxed out on available credit.

Thank you.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Linda Simmons Campbell
Linda Simmons Campbell
  • Tax Law Lawyer
  • Burlington, CT

A: Any good tax attorney should be able to advise you as to the best way to resolve your liability. You have a few options available to you. Stay away from the places you see advertised on tv. Because this is a federal tax issue you can contact a tax attorney anywhere in the country for help. Most of us offer a free consultation.

Frank Huerta Jr
Frank Huerta Jr

A: You may also want to check out and type in LITC. The IRS Taxpayer Advocate service funds Low Income Taxpayer Clinics that help low income taxpayers for free. You may be able to gain temporary relief by entering currently-non-collectible status. You may be a candidate for an offer in compromise but as mentioned by Ms. Campbell stay away from the places that advertise heavily on TV and radio.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.