West Bend, WI asked in Bankruptcy for Wisconsin

Q: My brother filed for bankruptcy before we could file a lawsuit against him. Can we still sue?

My mother moved to assisted living only to find out my brother stole a lot of money from her. The divestment is over $50,000. My husband and I are private paying because she cannot live independently. Since my brother stole money, we planned on suing to try to recoup. (He received every penny. We have never received any money from my mother and can prove it.) Now he and his wife filed bankruptcy. Will we be stuck holding the bag? It’s so much money and our funds are almost depleted. I feel bereft. Please let me know our rights.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison
  • Bankruptcy Lawyer
  • Louisville, KY

A: You should consult the authorities bc a crime may have been committed. Also, you can bring an adversarial proceeding against your brother inside his bankruptcy case to recover the money if he obtained it by fraud or deceit. You should consult an experienced bankruptcy attorney to help you through this.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.