Asked in Adoption, Child Custody and Family Law for Missouri

Q: My sons father pays child support threw the state. But has not seen my son in 3 years. Is that considered abandonment?

My son is 6 and has seen bio dad a handful of times. He knows my husband as his dad. Multiple times his bio dad has disappeared and come back later trying to see him. At this point it has been 3 years since they have seen each other. However he does have child support taken out of his checks by the state. My husband wishes to adopt him. Can we terminate his rights due to the fact that he does not maintain a healthy relationship with my son.

1 Lawyer Answer
Lydia Seifner
Lydia Seifner
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Springfield, MO
  • Licensed in Missouri

A: The first thing to do would be to ask the biological father if he would contest your husband's adoption of your son. If not, then an adoption would be very straightforward. If he would contest the adoption, then you a court would have to evaluate the strength or the parent -child relationship before making the decision to severe the biological father's paternal rights. Either way, talk to a family and adoption law attorney local to you to assist you in the process.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.