Chicago, IL asked in Landlord - Tenant and Real Estate Law for Indiana

Q: My landlord has not been paying his mortgage but I have been payinh rent. What can I do now. The bank wants me out now.

Never received any court papers or eviction notice. Been tenant for 3 years. Original landlords had passed and home went to their son. He said we would just keep it month to month per the lease.

1 Lawyer Answer
Alexander Florian Steciuch
Alexander Florian Steciuch
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Valparaiso, IN
  • Licensed in Indiana

A: You need to figure out what is happening with this property through your landlord as soon as possible. While the bank is not your landlord, if there is a mortgage on the property and it is not being paid, the bank can foreclose on the property. As part of that foreclosure process, the bank will ask for an eviction of all current tenants and anyone else that lives at the property.

Consult with an attorney in your area for legal advice. Any information provided here is just for general information purposes.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.