Baltimore, MD asked in Immigration Law for Pennsylvania

Q: Can I appeal or do a motion if my visa was denied back in 2009.

My father petition to me when he was a resident and I was still legally married . Then around 2008 I got a divorce and than went to my consulate interview a year later. they denied me for being married , and considerate it fraud to divorce my ex so soon to my interview. Also I did Provide proof that I was legally married but I was not living with that woman for over 15 years .

Also I’m currently in the US on a travelers visa If nothing can be done could I adjust my status in some way.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Allen C. Ladd
Allen C. Ladd
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Greenville, SC

A: Your father may file a new petition. The first case was correctly denied because you were married while the petition was pending; permanent residents may only sponsor unmarried children.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.