New Orleans, LA asked in Child Support for Louisiana

Q: I have child support for twins, their emancipation date is 3/25/19. What happens if they are still in school

they graduate in 2020, will I have to go back to court? I assume their mother will file something if allowed. Will they just extend it? Are they allowed to change the amount if it was changed last year?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

Ellen Cronin Badeaux

  • Covington, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: It sounds like they turn 18 Mar 2019 but don't graduate until May 2020. You must pay child support for them until May 2020. If you have other kids, your attorney will need to file for a decrease. If you have a wage assignment, your attorney will have to file for a decrease or termination.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.