Laurel Hill, FL asked in Family Law for Florida

Q: i live in florida and i was wondering, if a 17 year old were to run away, what can the parent to do make them come home.

I'm 17 years old, and in need of a way out of my current home situation. I turn 18 in 8 months, and am aware that legally i can not move out until then without a parents permission, but i was wondering if i were to "run away" what power would my parents have to force me to come home. I know that in michigan, once a minor is 17, police will do nothing if the minor is not in any danger where they are staying, and i was hoping a similar policy was in place here in florida.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
David Alfred Carroll
David Alfred Carroll
  • Pensacola, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: You have eight months remaining to live at home. You need to think through what is involved with living on your own. in almost every single situation is detrimental to move out of your home earlier than you need to. Take this time to save money, gather information, research living situations, so that when you are ready you can move out without problems. Technically, if you run away, law enforcement can arrest you and can return you to home. Further they can keep you in a juvenile detention facility, or other "group" home. There is a legal process called Emancipation that you can go through to be declared an adult. However you would have to prove that you have the maturity, and financial resources to live on your own before the court will grant your emancipation.

I'm sure this is not what you want to hear. I wish you all the best.

David A. Carroll, Pensacola Family Law Attorney

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.