Baltimore, MD asked in Immigration Law for Pennsylvania

Q: If I’m here in the us on a travers visa can my father petition for me now.

Also can I stay and work while I wait for my green card.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kelli Y Allen
Kelli Y Allen
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Charlotte, NC

A: Depending on whether your father is a USC or LPR, whether you are under 21, and whether you are married or not, your father may be able to file an I-130 petition to "get you in line" for a visa number. Unless there is a visa number immediately available (which would only be the case if your dad is a USC and you are unmarried and under 21) , you are not allowed to wait in the U.S.

You would need to comply with the terms of your visitor's visa and when a visa number is available (potentially many years from now), you could continue the process of filing for an immigrant visa and come back to the U.S. as a permanent resident.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.